“Do Not Be Afraid”
(By Jenny Catton)
These are the words the Angel Gabriel spoke to Mary when he told her she was to become a Mother to God’s Son. I think they are words we need to hear right now; I know I do.
There are so many things we may be afraid of at the moment:
- How am I going to survive this lockdown as I am already feeling lonely and isolated? The walls seem to be closing in on me and I can’t go anywhere.
- Will I catch coronavirus?
- I can’t cope as I have lost someone I love.
- When will I see my family; I am desperate for a hug from them?
- Will I still get the hospital treatment I am waiting for or will it be put off yet again, if so, how am I going to cope?
- Is there a part of me that is a bit frightened at the thought of having the vaccine? Will it make me ill? Will it work?
- I am worried about my job, my finances, how I am going to look after my family.
We all feel we should be able to cope with anything and not ask for help from anyone. I am bad at asking for help. We put on a “face” to others that says “I am coping well, I am fine” but underneath we aren’t. It can feel as though we are overwhelmed, and we just can’t cope with anything else. It can seem as though there is this black hole inside of us that we are sinking into and we can’t get out. We all experience times like this in our lives, but we don’t always allow others to see our struggle.
I just want to say to you “Do not be afraid” you are not alone. Even if others can’t see our real thoughts and feelings, God our Father can.
He says to each one of us, “Do not be afraid, I am with you; you are my child and I love you. I will be with you in the really bad times I will be with you when you feel you are being swept away. I will be with you in the situations that you fear may destroy you. I am the Lord your God and for me nothing is impossible.”
Many of you will know the poem “Footprints” and I would like to share it as an encouragement to you at this time.
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
Other times there was one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life,
When I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.
So I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord, that is I follow you, you would walk with me always,
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
There have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”
The Lord replied,
“The times when you have only seen one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you
Let Him pick you up and carry you now.